About the Benedictine Sisters of Erie

Corporate Commitment

A corporate commitment is a vision or goal that we agree to promote as a community and as individuals no matter where we are or in how many diverse ministries we might be engaged. The corporate commitment of the Benedictine Sisters of Erie is:

As Benedictine Sisters of Erie we commit ourselves to be a healing presence and prophetic witness for peace by working for sustainability and justice, especially for women and children.

Charism Statement

A charism is a particular way in which people respond to God's call. A community’s charism embodies the way the members carry out their mission and ministries. The Benedictine charism is:

The Benedictine way is to seek God in the communal life and to respond in prayer and ministry.

Common Life

Community

Life as a Benedictine Sister of Erie is centered in community, following the Rule of St. Benedict under the guidance of the Prioress. We are vowed in the Catholic tradition promising with perpetual vows: stability, fidelity to the monastic way of life and obedience. A commitment to the common good and respect for each other support us in our search for God and nurture the bonds of community.

Prayer and Liturgy

As Benedictine women, prayer is central to our monastic life. The community gathers three times a day for the Liturgy of the Hours, the basis of our communal prayer. The festive marking of Sunday, along with the great feasts and seasons of the liturgical year, includes the celebration of Eucharist as well. Daily lectio divina, occasional reconciliation services, and various annual events complete the community’s liturgical life.

Ongoing Formation

How does one keep fresh and alive the energy and joy of responding to one’s call to monastic life? The community’s commitment to continuing education – to our On-going Formation Program – is one way. This program is implemented through a series of regularly scheduled community meetings. The meetings focus on areas that will aid in our growth and development as human persons and monastic women in church and society.

Ministry

Ministry is an integral part of monastic life. Inspired by the Gospel and the Rule of Benedict we respond to the needs of God’s people. We steward the gifts, talents and skills that have been given to us and extend them through service. Community and non-community ministries alike provide the opportunity for meaningful work that is consistent with our monastic commitment to glorify God in all things.

SCHEDULE A VISIT

See our Guest Accommodations Page to schedule a visit.

Community Life

Walking in the Holy Presence: The Liturgy of Life

Postulant Val Luckey reflects on the “liturgy of life” after a weekend visit with Sisters Mary Hoffman (left) and Phyllis Schleicher who work in Catholic Rural Ministry in the Diocese...

We're Standing on Holy Ground

Since 1999 the Benedictine Sisters of Erie, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Northwest, PA, and the Sisters of Mercy, along with the oblates and associates of each respective community, have joined together to take back sites that have been marked by...

Memorial Gathering Honors Sister Rita Groner

Therapy Dogs United celebrated the memory of Sister Rita Groner, a dedicated 9 year volunteer, who passed away unexpectedly in July...

Meet Greg Robinson, SBEC Program Participant

Greg Robinson learned firsthand that a new job is good both for your finances and for your health. Some years ago, he was working at a fiberglass factory, an environment that proved toxic to his health. He needed to find a “cleaner” job. Today,...

Fairview cares

Shirley Whaley accepts donations from: John Feketi, director of facilities, Carol Elliott, 3rd grade teacher, Erik Kincade, superintendent of the Fairview School District. Superintendent Erik Kincade oversees the annual “Fairview Cares”...

Pages

Community History

The Benedictine Sisters of Erie trace their beginnings to the Benedictine nuns at St. Walburg Abbey in Eichstätt, Bavaria, Germany, founded in 1035. Sisters from there first came to St. Marys, PA in 1852 to educate the children of the newly arrived German immigrants.

On June 21, 1856 Mother Benedicta Riepp and five sisters from St. Marys arrived in Erie at the request of the Erie bishop. Sister Scholastic Burkhard was appointed first superior by Mother Benedicta thus establishing the first community of women religious in the Erie area.

In 1859 three sisters from Erie were sent to Covington, KY to begin a community and in 1861 three more traveled to Chicago to establish another community. Both communities continue today. Read more